Re: exp via pipe and compress

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:08:04 GMT

A copy of this was sent to sbatter_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 16:13:14 GMT, you wrote:

>I talked to oracle to get around > 2GB exp filesize limitation
>They suggest:
> cat < /dev/exp.pipe > compress.Z &
> exp userid/passwd file=/dev/exp.pipe .... &
>
>this works fine on small exports. if i do a full the compress.Z file
>is corrupt. if i do zcat compress.Z | more i can see bad sql statements
>and garbase where my create and grant statements should be. Oracle support
>is being typical. The exp logfile reports export without warnings. So it looks
>like compress isnt reading from the pipe correctly.

This is a script (below) I have been using for a long time now. I use gzip to get better compression. My compressed file is about 1gig in size (3-4 gig uncompressed). My approach is to exp to the pipe and then ALWAYS unzip the file back into a pipe and imp show=y the whole file to test the integrity of the exp.

The script extract you have above doesn't look right to me -- why introduce cat into the equation? You aren't even compressing the file! I think you might mean "compress < /dev/exp.pipe > compress.Z" or maybe "cat /dev/exp.pipe | compress > compress.Z".... When you uncompress the file later -- it is trying to decompress an uncompressed file.....

Hope this helps in some way...

#!/bin/csh -f

setenv UID sys/xxxx
setenv FN exp.`date +%j_%Y`.dmp.gz

echo $FN

cd /d05/expbkup
ls -l

rm expbkup.log export.test exp.*.dmp.gz exp.tmp.dmp

mknod exp.tmp.dmp p

date > expbkup.log
gzip < exp.tmp.dmp > $FN &
exp userid=$UID buffer=20000000 file=exp.tmp.dmp full=y >>& expbkup.log date >> expbkup.log

date > export.test
zcat $FN > exp.tmp.dmp &
imp userid=$UID file=exp.tmp.dmp show=y full=y >>& export.test date >> export.test

>Exp to tape works but is at current 2 tapes and slow as sh*t.
>
>OS Solaris 2.6 ( recent recommended patches )
>Oracle 7.3.3.5.0
>hardware Sun Ultra 2 single 300Mhz
>
>Has anybody run into something similar? Am i doing something wrong?
>Are they any alternatives?
>
>TIA
>
>steve

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Jul 16 1998 - 12:08:04 CDT