Re: exp via pipe and compress

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:53:05 +0100

I've usually just used the 'uncompress' (which I think is an alias to 'compress -u') to fill the pipe. Something like:

    compress < exp.pipe > mydump.dmp (on the way out)

    and

    uncompress mydump.dmp.Z > exp.pipe (on the way in)

This has always worked fine on 4G+ export files under AIX. There is an article on the Oracle Metals Web support site about 'cat' and 'zcat' causing problems on some platforms, so I don't use them. Maybe that's where the errors are? I've never had problems with compress/uncompress on export dumps (i.e. without pipes when under 2G) or datafiles. Still, could be a problem specific to your platform?..

MotoX.