Re: DB_BLOCKSIZE

From: <nasof_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:21:14 GMT

In article <01bdb03a$00cfebe0$2165cccf_at_db-john>,   "John Farley" <JFarley_at_ionet.net> wrote:
> I'm on a NT4 platform with Oracle 7.3.4 for Workgroups. The default
> DB_BLOCKSIZE is 2k. Are there any advantages to increasing that to say 4
> or 8k, and if so what are they? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --John

you should crank that bad boy up as high as it will go. I have an NT4.0 and Oracle8 platform and we use 16K blocks!.

The one thing to watch is that the DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS param should be equally lowered if you want to maintain the same amount of memory...

DB_BLOCKSIZE=2K
DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS=100
Therefore total size is 2K*100=200K

If you do not want to impact memory size used by DB then when you double your block size you should half your buffer size... DB_BLOCKSIZE=4K
DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS=50
Therefore total size is 4K*50=200K

-Frank