Re: Oracle Performance on WAN with T-1 line

From: Chris Hamilton <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/07/15

shavazo_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>We have a large customer using our application on a WAN.

>Our application is not written using Oracle dev. tools but is base on an
>Oracle database (on NT) which is installed with the common parameters
>(standard installation of Oracle enterprise for Windows NT).
>
>The clients access the database over a WAN, structured on a T-1 line which
>should provide pretty good performance. Unfortunately, the customer complains
>about performance. I'm not familiar with the distances exactly, but I presume
>we're discussing the different factories in the same city.
>
>Anyway, to cut a long story short, I would appreciate very much, if you
>pointed out to me which parameters in Oracle might help me boost the
>performance (init.ora or others).
>
>Also, If anyone knows about utilities to troubleshoot network performance
>problems for Oracle, or 'tuning' tools.

Before you start pointing fingers at the WAN, look at your application. The database could be badly designed. The SQL statements in the application could be poorly optimized and structured. Necessary indexes could be missing. More data may be fetched than is needed. All kinds of things.

Chris

Chris Hamilton, DBA
US Army Corps of Engineers
christopher.h.hamilton_at_usace.army.mil
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html Received on Wed Jul 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT