Re: Multi-processor in Oracle8 database server under Windows NT

From: s <spaquette_at_orisoft.com>
Date: 16 Jul 98 02:31:27 GMT

Hi,

Oracle Parallell Server is for having multiple instances sharing ONE database. It is used for systems with a lot of concurrent users on big heavy OLTP systems.
It can also be used as a security feature in an redondant server architecture.
It is new in the NT world and you need specific software to use that option.

The parallel query option on the other hand helps you optimize your response time IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH RESSOURCES ON YOUR COMPUTER. It's improving reponse time when manipulating a lot of data when using full table scan or range scan on index and tables. Tables with less than 100 000 rows will probably not benefit from using the parallel option.
You must also split your data on as many disk as possible. Even if you launch several query slave to read a table, you will have no gain if the table is on only one disk.

To use parallelism, you can use the hint parallel or when creating a table specify the parallelism degree.

New with Oracle 8, you can do parallel dml. It is limited though and will be improve in Oracle 8.1.

The many parameters in the book help you to limit the parallelism. The optimiser will decide to use it or not

HT

Stephane Paquette
Database Administrator
spaquette_at_orisoft.com
WWW.ORISOFT.COM Ronald Wong <spacew_at_hkstar.com> wrote in article <6oilfp$kcs$1_at_imsp009a.netvigator.com>...