Re: Oracle on Linux, this time it's serious

From: Peter Schneider <peter.schneider_at_okay.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:38:10 GMT

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:44:23 GMT, iolo_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>In article <35ac901b.767417157_at_pub.news.uk.psi.net>,

[article in The Economist, another rumor about Oracle on Linux]

http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/current/index_wb9493.html

>Yep, and I suppose it will be just like SOFTWARE AG's ADABAS for Linux.
>A crippled 1 user standalone.

Sorry, but that's not true. You're obviously talking about the ADABAS D eval version, and that's 3 user with a max of 24 MB data. But you can purchase all other license options up to enterprise version for Linux as well, so it is not crippled in any way.

What do you expect, an unlimited user license + unlimited web license of a powerful RDBMS from a commercial company for free ?

Anyway, if that rumor about Oracle on Linux is true, I'm very curious what kind of licensing model Oracle will offer.

Rgds,
Peter

--
Peter Schneider
peter.schneider_at_okay.net Received on Wed Jul 15 1998 - 20:38:10 CDT