Re: Disk/tspace config. for Oracle on AIX

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:31:01 GMT

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:29:17 +0100, MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com> wrote:
>Mark,
>
>Like I said in my previous post, I'm not a big fan of Oracle level striping,
>it's too course and too much hassle. Hardware or an LVM is much better. The
>downside of a very large table striped over many drives *without
>protection - RAID5 or RAID1 (or LVM mirror)* is that if you lose a drive you
>have to recover the entire stripe set - you can just recover the dead disk.
>For this reason, on a very big table I'd look at multiple stripe sets.
>Multiple stripe sets also work better when you have some big joins and/or
>big summary table creates - it helps to pull them away from the same
>disks/stripes as the central fact table(s).

I'm on Solaris, but this applies to any array: Don't forget about your controllers. I just recently had a situation where a controller went bad, so when I went to write an export file, the machine rebooted. I come in Monday morning, ask the hardware guy what's the deal, were they here at midnight Sunday? No... checking things out, the export tried to write to one volume (Veritas fs), but the volume manager said it was ok, but another volume had bad disks (our production mirror broken, ack!). This made no sense at all, until I (who refuse to admit any competence at all wrt hardware - it hates me) went "Are they on the same controller?" Sure 'nuff.

I've had exp do weird stuff, but rebooting the machine... yeeeouch.

jg
--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Wed Jul 15 1998 - 20:31:01 CDT