Re: Creating a oracle production environment.

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:02:17 GMT

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:53:24 +0300, Guron <guron_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>--------------425E6E1868AD9437780D9922
>
>Hello,
>
>mpir_at_compuserve.com wrote:
>
> way too small though. (Remember Oracle is an oinker and an old rule of thumb
> is that the sum of the sga sizes should not exceed 1/3 your RAM.) If I were
>
>Where I can get some rules or recommendation about SGA size and RAM size on Oracle
>Server ?

The install guides have recommendations, but it has been my experience they are too conservative on memory usage calculations by half.

You might ask Oracle support what their rule of thumb for SGA size is for your particular platform. Last time I asked, it was no more than half for Solaris. I'm running more than half in some cases, but occassionally things go nutso into swap.

There may be something about this in some white papers, but heck if I can recall. See the technical papers section of MetaLink or your SupportNotes, there's some pretty informative stuff in there even if that particular question is not addressed. I have a link to the bulletins on my oracle links webpage ("Oracle Technical Library"), but you have to be registered for MetaLink.

Please don't post html into newsgroups. The load is high enough with just text.

jg

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Wed Jul 15 1998 - 20:02:17 CDT