Outer Join ?

From: Mark Wolak <wolakm_at_flash.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:15:30 -0400

Hi,
A quick Question.
I am trying to all of the records to display where

p.hr_no is equal to 253     (253 will eventually be replaced
                             by a user input parameter.)
I know all of the barcodes are not entered into the table wgm_comp I want to return null values for barcode and userid where they don't exist.

I keep getting error messages.
The select statement works without the (+) operator which is supposed to provide null where there is no direct match.

What Am I Missing?

Thank You in advance

select

        w.barcode,
        w.userid,
        p.BARCODE,
        p.LOCATION,
        p.SER_NO,
        p.MFG_NM,
        p.MFG_PN,
        p.HR_NO,
from    wgm.wgm_comp w,
        wgm.prop_bk p
where   rtrim(w.barcode, ' ') (+) = rtrim(p.barcode, ' ')
and     '253' = rtrim(p.hr_no, ' ')

order by userid

I get....

where rtrim(w.barcode, ' ') (+) = rtrim(p.barcode, ' ')

                              *

ERROR at line 12:
ORA-00920: invalid relational operator

error 920 is
 ORA-00920 invalid relational operator

 Cause: A search condition was entered with an invalid or missing relational operator.

 Action: Include a valid relational operator such as =,
!=, ^=, <>, >, <, >=, <=, ALL, ANY, [NOT] BETWEEN, EXISTS,
[NOT] IN, IS [NOT] NULL, or [NOT] LIKE in the condition.

Here is my environment
Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.3.0 - Production Release With the distributed, replication and parallel query options PL/SQL Release 2.3.2.3.0 - Production Received on Wed Jul 15 1998 - 14:15:30 CDT