Replication and changes in database structure

From: Erik Stel <estel_at_elc.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:38:59 +0200

Hello,

Currently I'm working on a project which requires database replication between laptops (of people working at home) and the company server. We are using Oracle 7.3 both on the laptops and the company server. My question is, does the replication mechanism of Oracle support changes in the database structure. That is, an employee working at home has made changes to some record in a table while at the same time the DBA has changed the structure for that table. The next time the employee replicates its database will that replicate the changed structure? Will the changes made by the employee get replicated to the server. Preferably we would like to be able to have some conversion take place (because of the changes between the old record and the new record layout). Is this possible and if so, what should we use. Will the Conflict Resolution Methods help us here? [Currently an implementation exists which uses both read-only and updateable snapshots.]

Thanks for any help,
Erik Stel (estel_at_elc.com)

P.S. Please (also) mail me any replies since I do not visit this newsgroup very frequently. Received on Wed Jul 15 1998 - 09:38:59 CDT