Re: Microsoft claim to fame : The TeraServer on The Web

From: <vslabs_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/07/14

Neil Pike wrote:

> Yes, MS have demonstrated one type of large database under SQL 7.0 -
> but pray tell where on any of their press releases for TerraServer does
> it state that SQL 7.0 is the answer to all large database issues and
> wipes the floor with Oracle 8.x in all departments? MS have never
> claimed this - TerraServer is just a very small indication that SQL 7.0
> is going in the right direction scalability wise.

Then you know nothing about marketing Neil. It's all about perceptions from the market place. And the Microsoft marketing slime knows -all- about that. Pray tell me sir, where does Microsoft say -not- to use SQL-Server for certain types of VLDBs?

> (I've just put a single table of 500,000,000 rows into SQL 7.0 quite
> happily for a new system - VERY small rows with a single index, so again
> not an indication of SQL 7.0 being perfect, but another small
> indication- if not quite the billion rows you're looking for (the table
> will grow to that over the next 2-3 years) )

Unfortunately it's a case of been there and done that with Oracle and Informix. As I mentioned in a previous post, Microsoft is playing very hard at catching up, and for that reason SQL-Server will always lack the maturity and robustness of Oracle and Informix. I do not say SQL-Server is not an excellent database in certain circumstances (good choice fot the low end market especially), but I will not recommend to any company to employ SQL-Server in the high-end corporate market as it simply can not match Oracle or Informix in that arena.

regards,
Billy