warning about compatible= parameter on HP

From: <axnels2_at_uswest.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:33:55 GMT

I would like to warn you about <compatible> parameter that should be specified in the init.ora files for your databases. One of the databases I am supporting is v7.3.2.1 on HP10.20. The database was originally created without the compatible flag set. When we determined that some of the features can only become available with compatible flag set to 7.3.0.0 I have decided to set that value as it was recommended. Guess what? When the database was restarted, everything appeared to be ok, until someone tried to execute a DDL command, such as create table. The result was a boatload of ORA-00600. We all love those. After sorting through the trace files I determined that my dictionary is corrupt. The odd thing is that you can read the database, but you could not write to it. No way to get around that. I clinched my teeth and proceeded to recreate the database from the export.

So be warned.