Re: Performance Question: RAID or Individual drives ?

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:43:23 +0100

Dominic Baines wrote:

> Thanks MotoX:
>
> Following you're advise I tried this on a separate server with an almost
> identical datbase (export of original and imported onto the other) but this time
> used the 15 drive model for the database (DBA handbook rough example followed)
> but with the drive non-RAID'd and the performance was just so much better than
> the RAID5 version for both READ's (about 85% slower) and WRITE's (more than 55%
> slower). OK so that doesn't tell me much more that I expected really but is
> there a way to improve the RAID performance ?

Wow, that's quite a come-down on the reads - not what I'd expect. Maybe try a different adapter? Check the specs on any 'tweaking' options it might have for performance tuning.

> I believe the RAID set is one where every drive is striped across every disk and
> there is a parity member and there is a standby disk. RAID 5 ?

RAID5 strips the parity across all the disks, yes - rather than having a separate parity disk. The standby is your hot-spare, which you can configure to auto-rebuild when a disk fails.

> How would I capture the time taken for each process
> realistically ? I tried this as a rough stopwatch exercise from a sql*plus
> connection at both the server and at a client workstation.

Hey, nothing wrong with the old stopwatch! :-) Saves my life all the time.

You could try using - on UNIX - a shell script to log the output from iostat, vmstat, sar, etc. Or (and on NT) buy some additional software - although I've found this can be pretty expensive.

> At the end of the day I suppose it is the client and SLA's that will win on a
> recovery arguament rather than performance and as we both answer to the same
> person they will have to make a choice. The database is approximately 50/50
> read/write and it is growing at the rate almost across every tablepsace of some
> 15% per year in size.

Yep, many of my clients will happily accept the performance hit of RAID5 for the better fault-tolerance and lower cost, over, say, RAID0+1.

Regards,

Steve Phelan (MotoX).