Re: space usage

From: Frank Wright <Frank.Wright_at_DaytonOH.NCR.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 15:52:10 -0400

What is your pctfree set at for the table segment? This will determine up to what point to insert records in a block. This parameter means the amount of space you want free to reserve for updates that expand in size. Almost all data regardless of type is stored as variable size. The pctused parameter is for determining what point of freeing space due to deletes does the engine put this block back in the freelist to be chosen by an insert statement.

EX.
PCTFREE 10
PCTUSED 40 This says that I want to continue to insert records into a block in this table until the amount of free space goes below 10% this also says that if I delete enough records that less than 40% of the block is being used then I want to allow inserts to happen again to this block

HTH

F.C. Wright
Oracle DBA
NCR Corporation

Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com> wrote in article <35aa3ff0.7786587_at_news.dvol.com>...