Re: Need Help about Tablespace Backup and Recovery

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:22:03 GMT

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:14:51 +0800, "Collin Leung" <collinl_at_vtc.edu.hk> wrote:

>Dear all news reader,
>
>I have a database and it will service more than one application. Each
>application will use one tablespace to store the data. For example, if one
>of the tablespace need a 'POINT IN TIME' recovery, what I need to do is
>recovery that tablespace ONLY and it CANNOT affect other tablespace. What I
>try to do is user Oracle 8 recovery manager's recovery feature. However, I
>can't successfully have a 'POINT IN TIME' recovery. Any suggestion will be
>help. Many Thanks

Point in time (aka incomplete) recovery can be performed only on the whole database, not on a tablespace or a datafile. Tablespace or datafile based recovery can be performed only as a complete recovery, that is applying all redo logs generated before the database crashed.

>Collin

Regards,
--
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Jul 14 1998 - 07:22:03 CDT