Re: Non-Oracle host data into Oracle

From: Bob Nightingale <nighr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 06:35:36 -0500

The "my way or the highway" approach works both ways. If you think your way does in fact save your company more than $18,000 annually than you ought to fight for that solution. You don't have a technology issue here, but a business issue which includes the survival of your firm. If he can't afford that much for a reliable software solution, he certainly can't afford to give you that much in a raise. You need to find out how much is the data worth. Will a cessation in service cost your firm $18,000 if there is one incident of data failure? If not how many times? You need to start collecting some detailed records to make a valid case.

If the pattern you find is that you're right and the boss is wrong often, it's time to change the boss. I'd suggest talking to a recruiter saying, "I'm looking to work for another company and I want exactly an $18,000 pay increase over my present situation." I think you're entitled to it. Then you'll know for sure that you were right.

Actually the cron and SQL*Loader solution can be pretty elegant for small bursts of data that aren't time-critical. You're not going to get "real-time" for nothing. That's just physics and economics.

--Bob.