Re: Performance Question: RAID or Individual drives ?

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:06:21 +0100

Sheesh, learn to read, bud - rather than just jumping in with what *you* think *I think*. Read on.

SV wrote in message <#JlOD9nr9GA.317_at_upnetnews03>...

>If you think what you said is the whole story
>then you're wrong.

No, I never did say that was the whole story. Try and read the first sentence again, where I suggested the poster check his *own* system with his *own transactions*. Also check most of the other posts I mail in here, which also always suggest people test against their own systems.

>There are plenty of other things which can
>influence I/O perfomance.
>SCSI controllers (Fast/Wide or Ultra Fast/Wide, or narrow ),
>RAID disk cache configuration (write-back or write-through),
>software or hardware striping,
>OS, etc.

You don't say. Whoa, you're a genius. I'd have never thought those things could make a difference. Not!

>You mentioned neither of them, so your numbers
>are pretty much useless for any intent or purpose
>other than for your particular system.

Correct, just like I said. And I've also done some testing on NT, which pretty much gave the same results - and on SCSI.

>About the only thing I would agree with out of the box
>is that parallel query does seem to improve total I/O
>disregard of other things.

Hey, we agree on something. Obviously this is where the fault must be.