Migrating users and their passwords...

From: Dave Best <davidbe_at_nortel.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:38:21 -0400

Hey all.. quick question. I am told that it is possible to move users between databases and still keep their password. For example, user on system A has password XXX, encrypted equals YYY. Can I do something like this on system B?:

        create user "JOHN" identified by YYY;

or after the user is created do a

        alter user "JOHN" identified by YYY;

This way, the user can login to machine B and still have the same password. For some reason I can't get this to work, even tho I am told it is possible. (FYI: The encrypted passwords on the separate systems
are identical.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Received on Mon Jul 13 1998 - 12:38:21 CDT