Re: Non-Oracle host data into Oracle

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 12:45:06 +0100

I've done this in the past with Pro*C programs and ftp (to get the data file). The nice thing about the Pro*C approach is that you can connect to the db once and stay connected. This saves a lot of cpu wastage of constantly spawning processes on your UNIX server every 60 seconds - just let the process loop with a 'sleep' call to do the waiting between file arrivals. You can use the 'array insert' features to further improve performance.

If you feel a little more adventurous, try writing it as a real-time link (no files) using sockets. I've only ever done this Micro$oft to UNIX, so you'll have to look at what AS400 provides in terms of TCP/IP socket functionality.

Short of that, look at another gateway product rather than the Oracle stuff, or maybe try something over ODBC.

Steve Phelan.