Re: Microsoft claim to fame : The TeraServer on The Web

From: Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 1998/07/11

I have to agree with you on this point. Only a neophyte would store images and BLOB data in the database itself.

At VBITS '97 I had a discussion with Bill Vaughn of MS and another attendee (whose company was building a system in this fashion). Bill recommended that Paul should only store metadata in the DB, which is the design used for the document warehouse that I was working on at the time.

I still think that there is a good market for MS SQL Server, and I much prefer working with SQL Server over Oracle due to the better integration of the development tools. Oracle just isn't as "friendly" to the developer.

Michael D. Long
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/heights/9478/

p.s.: MS should have asked me how to really optimize retrieval time on the TeraServer - limit the DB to one row with a 1Tb BLOB. ;-)

vslabs_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<6o4c5k$vps$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...