Re: tnsnames.ora - Windows client uses "SID.WORLD = " but Unix uses "SID = "

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:37:26 GMT

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 01:12:30 GMT, johnvue_at_gte.net wrote:

>Why do I need ".WORLD" in Windows tnsnames.ora but not in Unix
>tnsnames.ora?

I'm not sure. You might check your SQLNET.ORA file. Does it have an entry like this:

NAME.DEFAULT_ZONE = world

If the sqlnet.ora file on the NT box had a default zone of world, I think you would have to have ".world" on all your TNSNAMES entries. That's because SQL*Net appends to the default zone to your service name before looking in tnsnames.

Jonathan Received on Sat Jul 11 1998 - 23:37:26 CDT