NEWBIE: copying a schema from one instance to another

From: HAP <shield_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 01:58:32 -0400

Hi, there out in Oracle land. It's 1:45AM and I am a slave to an inport that I am running now. It has been running since 7:30PM from the prior day.

I have been analyzing what I have done and I would like some advice. I am copying the tables in our production schema to our test schema as a massive update. The production schema is in a separate instance from the test schema.

Here's what I propose to do next time I have to do this (BTW the structure of both schemas is the same):

  1. Export source tables
  2. Export target schema
  3. Disable constraints on target
  4. Remove data from target.
  5. Import source tables into target (with ignore create error)
  6. Enable contraints on target

What do you think? Is it overkill to use exp and imp? Is there a better/faster way to do this?

PS. This kind of think doesn't happen often. If it did, I would be exploring the replication options.

Many thanks in advance!

HAP Received on Sat Jul 11 1998 - 00:58:32 CDT