Re: Microsoft claim to fame : The TeraServer on The Web

From: <vslabs_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/07/10

"Tony Rogerson" <tonyrogerson_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

> Ark, wrong again - these Oracle bunchkins aren't really up with the
> times - why not read up on the subject before putting it down.

Just like a Microsift weenie - next they'll tell us that Microsoft has invented time too. ;-)

> It runs on windows 95 and windows 98, does Oracle, or is it just a
> subset of Oracles functionality that runs on windows 95 or
> windows 98 ?

Personal Oracle for Win95 is a full implementation of standard Oracle. i.e. without the "enterprise features" like the spatial, parallel server, parallel query, context etc. additions. But it works exactly the same as Oracle on Unix, Oracle on NT, Oracle on VMS, Oracle on ... er.. guess you guys do not have much of a choice when it comes to SQL-Server hey.

But this is not the issue. Sheez, I can see you guys hang around the MS Marketing Engine for too long and like them simply try and confuse the issue if you don't have an answer. The last thing I'm interested is running a database on Windows'9x <shuddering at the thought>. Windows'9x IMO is a gaming platform - like Sony Playstation - but for us older kids that prefers something better than stupid arcade eye-candy games. ;-)

> Hope the above helps,

Not really. I would still like to know if you think that SQL-Server will be able to handle VLDBs (and not simply just a small number of very large rows). How about it?

regards,
Billy