How to tell if SMON is doing delayed recovery

From: <johnvue_at_gte.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 00:51:33 GMT

Oracle 7.3 lets you start up the database without waiting for a complete recovery.

Is there a surefire way to tell if SMON is recovering? Is there a way to tell when it's finished?

You can get some hints from the alert_SID.log that recovery has been initiated and you can see in a Unix "ps -f" listing that ora_smon is using more CPU than any other background processes. But these methods don't tell you 10 minutes after you've started the instance if the recovery is HAPPENING AT THIS MOMENT.

Oracle support didn't think there was any V$ views or any other method to find this out. Maybe there's a SMON trace I can enable that would show me. Received on Fri Jul 10 1998 - 19:51:33 CDT