HELP! DOS to Windows DB UPGRADE

From: <wenzelb1_at_westat.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:52:31 GMT

We developed an extensive Receipt Control and Management system for a large, long term project. We currently have multiple centers running identical versions of our system. Our system is written in Paradox 4.5 for DOS and it runs on a 25 user Novell (version 3.12) Network.
(Please proceed after laughter subsides) The data contains sensitive
information so we cannot use the internet in any way. Our application is multi-user with an expected maximum of 5 users at amy given time. The application has access to over 600 database files. The development language is PAL and the curent application is procedurally programmed.

Our client has given us the OK to move to a windows platform within the next year. We are mainly looking at 1) Visual Basic running on MS Access and 2) Power Builder on SQL Anywhere (now Adaptive Server Anywhere). We most likely cannot go with a large scale product such as Oracle because of prohibitive cost.

We have also considered moving to Windows NT because it seems that many products are geared for that NOS.

Our questions are:

Has anyone gone through this kind of thing before?

What products did you use? Why?

What unforeseen problems have you encountered?

Any opinion on Visual Basic to Access development environment?

Any opinion on PowerBuilder to Adaptive Server Anywhere development environment?

Any opinion on Visual Basic to Access performance?

Any opinion on PowerBuilder to Adaptive Server Anywhere performance?

Any experience with Paradox 4.5 for DOS compatibility with NT server 4.0.

Performance experience with Access or Adaptive Server Anywhere when more then 600 tables are created encompassing approximately 60 megabytes.

(Need number of lines of code and number of developers to maintain
and enhance system)

ANY helpful suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond to: wenzelb1_at_westat.com Received on Fri Jul 10 1998 - 08:52:31 CDT