Strange syntax in documentation

From: Yuri Denshchik <yuri_d_at_asainfo.online.ee>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:57:02 +0300

In Oracle8 documentation (Oracle8™ Server Application Developer’s Guide) I find example with using of EXISTS: IF NOT EXISTS SELECT * FROM emp WHERE emp.empno = :n.empno THEN

    INSERT INTO emp VALUES(:n.empno, :n.name); ELSE
    UPDATE emp SET emp.name = :n.name WHERE emp.empno = :n.empno; END IF;
I try to type in my programm in same format but everytime comiler fails with exception: PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "SELECT" Is that syntax is realy correct ? Received on Fri Jul 10 1998 - 01:57:02 CDT