Re: [SQL] How to merge two tables into one ?

From: Lothar Armbrüster <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 09 Jul 98 20:43:44 +0100

Zahi Al-Jamous wrote at 09-Jul-98 15:50:39

>Lothar Armbrüster wrote:
>> begin
>> for comm_rec in comm_cur loop
>> update policynew
>> set comment=comment||comm_rec.comment||chr(10)
>> where
>> id=comm_rec.id;
>> end loop;
>> end;

>OK, this worked perfectly, but I still have a litte problem :
>Let's assume that the Comment fiel in the PolicyNew table is
>of type "Long", and the "Comment" field in the Commentary table
>are of type varchar2(X).

>When I try to concatenate, I have an error message. Is there a
>way to do it ?

As long as your comments stay within 32KB, you could try to select the comment field into a varchar2 variable, do the concat there and finally update the table.
If your comments are larger, you will have to do the thing in an external program using Pro*C, OCI or whatsoever.

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--

Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Schulstr. 12            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de