Re: PL/SQL output to desktop file via OWA

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 16:46:36 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Eric Schlene <eschlene_at_purdue.edu> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 09 Jul 1998 11:21:56 -0500, you wrote:

>Ok- I know this should be easy, but I can't find the answer in the
>documentation.
>
>I want to allow my web users to redirect their report output. Rather
>than get an HTML report, I'd like to invoke the "save file as" dialog
>box and download the output as ASCII text to a txt file wherever they
>want to put it.
>
>Any suggestions as to what's the cleanest way to do this?
>
>thanks in advance
>
>eric

1- tell your users to right mouse click on the link to the report instead of left mouse clicking on it -- the pop up menus in NS and MS will let you save the link as....

2- or you need to simply put out a mime type in your routine....

For example:

create procedure do_the_report( p_in_html in varchar2 default 'Y' ) is
begin

    if ( p_in_html = 'Y' ) then

        owa_util.mime_header( 'text/html' );     else

        owa_util.mime_header( 'text/save-as' );     end if;

end;

You should make sure the web listener recognizes text/save-as as a mime type. By doing this, if the user does not have a helper/plug in configued for this mime type, they will be asked what they want to do with it...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Jul 09 1998 - 11:46:36 CDT