Re: A real problem!

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 15:01:37 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Binoy James" <binoy.james_at_usa.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:12:37 -0500, you wrote:

>Folks,
>
>We have a problem here that I would like some help/advice on:
>
>We have a 14 gb table with a primary unique index and three other indexes.
>When accessing that table on a delete operation, the user gets a ora-08102
>error (corrupt index - key not found). The problem we're running into is
>that we cannot determine which is the corrupt index? We are unable to do an
>analyze table since that would lock the table against any further updates
>till the analyze is complete and with a 14gb table....
>
>The problem is this is a 24x7 db and we have managed to get a 5hr downtime
>window to try and fix it. I am guessing it will take that amount of time to
>rebuild the bad index, but how do we narrow down which index is corrupt?
>
>Help!
>Jim.
>
>ps: I hope this is the right newsgroup for this post, if not please let me
>know which one is.
>Thanks in advance.

there should be a trace file generated (check your alert file, it has a list of trace files generated, or just look in your dump destinations for trace files)

In the trace file you'll see something like:

Mon Aug 11 11:17:46 1997
*** SESSION ID:(7.105) 1997.08.11.11.17.46.000 oer 8102.2 - obj# 3239, rdba: 0x014006b2 kdk key 8102.2: ^

                   +----- This is the object id in dba_objects.

You can use that number to determine the index. You might also consider forwarding the trace file onto support for more analysis.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Jul 09 1998 - 10:01:37 CDT