Re: help on oracle parallel server

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:15:58 +0100

The only point I'd make with the F50s (which we use) is that you may hit a performance limit quite early on. The S70 (which we also use) is a far more powerful and expandable server, and doesn't cost anything like the price of an SP2. Might be worth a look.

As regards performance, you'd have to architecture around OPS to get the most from it. It's an 'all or nothing', IMHO. As regards FT, maybe a couple of SMP servers with shared external disks and some 'failover' software might be a much simpler and cost effective solution. I've done this on HP in the past (with HP's Switchover product) and it's worked pretty well. OK, your Oracle users would see an interruption of service whilst the servers switched over in the case of a failure, but the cost and management effort day-to-day is much reduced.

All the best.

MotoX.