Re: Optimal Hardware for Oracle 8 and Express on NT server

From: Adrian Shepherd <Adrian.Shepherd_at_BTINTERNET.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:46:05 +0100

Your disks wont be the bottleneck , if this is Express on NT then CPU will be your bottleneck.

Those disks are fast enough to cater for any builds that might happen (A single disk can handle the i/o chucked out by an Express server during a build) IF you intend to have more than 40 connections - bump up the memory. Try to add memory to have a page pool on the Express server of at least 10% of the size of you cubes. (i.e. you are not using the RAM/RAA approach). If you are using the RAM/RAA approach try to add memory to cache at least 10% of the size of your index/data tablespaces. (i.e. on a 20GB database , 2GB of RAM is best). I really suggest adding as much memory as you can - max it out - memory is real cheap and the performance gains really outweigh any purchase costs. Do not choose a RAID system for disks that hold any cube files. RAID disks really slow down the cube builds. Upgrade to Express 6.2 ASAP. Tune the express server - the defaults are lousy. Make sure that you do not kill your disks with fragmentation by setting the extent management parameters under Express Server. Do not use a database server as an app server - buy a cheap system for this purpose. Max the cache on the RAID system if you choose RAID.

Post your message to to comp.databases.olap...

Hope this helped - I've been there.

Regards

Adrian