Re: Best way to move Oracle 8 from UNIX to NT?

From: JHY <jhy_at_earthling.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 02:46:05 -0400

I've created 7.3.2/7.3.3 instances on NT 4.0 with an SGA greater than 50MB, as large as a 100MB if I recall. One thing we found was that when physical memory is overcommitted, Oracle gets real unstable (crashes, hangs...). Performance goes to crap too as you might expect. But as long as we stayed within the limits of the physical memory available, with a margin for client/other processes, we could make the SGA as big as we wanted. It sounds like 8.0.4 is no better in this regard.

I don't recall seeing anything about this in the readme file. Maybe it was just in 8.0.4 or I missed it.