Re: Returning a result set from a table using a stored procedure

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 17:08:13 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Graeme Humphrey" <graeme.humphrey_at_prosoftres.co.uk> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:01:34 +0100, you wrote:

>Any ideas how to do this in Visual C++ v1.52?
>
>Scott Cote wrote in message <35A1022C.BC291B8A_at_contractor.net>...
>>Look at using reference cursors (and binding the cursor to your host
>>programming lang.).
>>
>>SCott
>>Hive Software, Inc.
>>
>>Ajay Soni wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We're trying to return a table by calling a stored procedure which has a
>>> select clause inside ( which looks like SELECT * FROM MYCUSTOMERS ).

if you use pro*c, it'll look like this. There is an oci example in oci11.c (on NT found in \orant\ociXX\samples\msvc where XX is your database version)..

create or replace function sp_ListEmp return types.cursortype as

    l_cursor types.cursorType;
begin

    open l_cursor for select ename, empno from emp order by ename;     return l_cursor;
end;
/

With 7.2 on up of the database you have cursor variables. Cursor variables are cursors opened by a pl/sql routine and fetched from by another application or pl/sql routine (in 7.3 pl/sql routines can fetch from cursor variables as well as open them). The cursor variables are opened with the privelegs of the owner of the procedure and behave just like they were completely contained within the pl/sql routine. It uses the inputs to decide what database it will run a query on.

Here is an example:

create or replace package types
as

    type cursorType is ref cursor;
end;
/

create or replace function sp_ListEmp return types.cursortype as

    l_cursor types.cursorType;
begin

    open l_cursor for select ename, empno from emp order by ename;

    return l_cursor;
end;
/

REM SQL*Plus commands to use a cursor variable

variable c refcursor
exec :c := sp_ListEmp
print c

and the Pro*c to use this would look like:

static void process()
{
EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;
    SQL_CURSOR my_cursor;

    VARCHAR     ename[40];
    int         empno;

EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION;       EXEC SQL WHENEVER SQLERROR DO sqlerror_hard();

    EXEC SQL ALLOCATE :my_cursor;

    EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN
        :my_cursor := sp_listEmp;
    END; END-EXEC;       for( ;; )
    {

        EXEC SQL WHENEVER NOTFOUND DO break;
        EXEC SQL FETCH :my_cursor INTO :ename, empno;

        printf( "'%.*s', %d\n", ename.len, ename.arr, empno );
    }
    EXEC SQL CLOSE :my_cursor;
}

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Tue Jul 07 1998 - 12:08:13 CDT