Oracle8 Install Questions

From: <sensenig_at_niehs.nih.gov>
Date: 7 Jul 1998 12:19:00 GMT

I have a DEC Alpha/2100 server running Digital UNIX 4.0b running ORACLE 7.3.2.3.0.

I want to install Oracle8 Version 8.0.3.0.0 while maintaining the database instances using Oracle 7.3.2.3.0. The plan is to gradually convert the Oracle 7.3.2.3.0 instances to Oracle8 after we're convinced that Oracle8 is working as desired.

It's my understanding that as long as I'm careful to create a unique ORACLE_HOME that both Oracle versions can run on the same server. Also NET8 must be installed on the server, but SQL*Net V2 clients should be able to connect to the existing Oracle 7.3.2.3.0 instances without modifying anything on their platform, since NET8 on the server will process both NET8 and SQL*Net V2 requests.

I'm hoping for some feedback as to whether my opinions are correct.

I've left a message with Oracle Support several work days ago but have heard nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Sensenig
sensenig_at_niehs.nih.gov Received on Tue Jul 07 1998 - 07:19:00 CDT