Re: Newbie Questions

From: Scott Cote <scottcote_at_contractor.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 12:21:47 -0500

Vincent,

You can go around the server and directly to the file (and you do not need Pro*C or ODBC to do so). But doing this can result in corrupting the data files.

I personally have never actually done it, but I believe some comercial packages do this so that they can defrag a data file/tablespace quickly.

Of course, once you figure out how to do it, Oracle can easily change the nature of how data is arranged in the file (thus invalidating your work).

I would advise you to use the server (like Mark) and pay the concordiant fees.

SCott