Raw device again

From: S S Wan <sswan_at_hk.super.net.NOSPAM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 12:32:45 +0800

I recently have a 10 GB database destroyed by a filesystem crash. I begin to doubt whether it is the choice of filesystem instead of raw device that caused prolonged downtime for restore.

I am placing all datafiles, redo log files, archived log files in different RAID-5/mirrored filesystems for performance purpose. It seems unavoidable that a filesystem corruption (even cannot be fsck'ed) will destory all files inside. So......if I use raw device, will it be better? Since a write to log is always sync'ed, the database should know how to handle if in case datafiles are fussy. Am I right?

BTW, is there any method to stored archived log in raw device for the same purpose?

P.S. Please remove .NOSPAM when reply by email. Received on Mon Jul 06 1998 - 23:32:45 CDT