Re: Alter index enable would be nice

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 00:19:28 +0100

In article <01bda71b$4e1de6e0$0300a8c0_at_WORKSTATION>, Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> writes

>Have you had a look at 'alter index unusable;' in 8.0.4
>You may be able to take advantage of this is some way.
>
>There would probably be problems if a plan indicated
>the need for the index though then found it unusable
>at run time. Extra use of hints may bypass this.

You can alter session to set skip_unusable_indexes - don't know if this works and I don't think it is an init.ora option either. It all sounds fragile, I think It'd be safer storing the original index storage info and recreating them myself.
Its a bit frustrating, I'm sure this wouldn't be a hard feature to add.
Steve
--
"The floggings will continue until morale improves." Received on Sat Jul 04 1998 - 18:19:28 CDT