help needed on NT please.....

From: Tony Commander <acommander_at_enterprise.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 09:55:17 +0100

I have recently visited a customer site, where thay had, for variuos reasons re-installed NT, into the bargain upgrading as well from 3.51 to 4.0 service pack 3.
They are running Oracle 7.3.4 and had two instances running fine ( Note I say HAD!!)
anyway I went in, re-installed Oracle to repopultae the registries and all that good stuff, and that worked fine. Then ran \ORANT\BIN\ORADIM73 -NEW -SID TEST -INTPWD TONY -STARTMODE
-PFILE D:\ORANT\DATABASE\INITTEST.ORA
which gave no errors.

Then ran ORADIM73 -STARTUP -SID TEST -STARTYPE SRVC,INST -USRPWD -TONY
-PFILE D:\ORANT\DATABASE\INITTEST.ORA
Which again gave no errors and in the control panel services I could see ORACLESERVICETEST as started - but no instance?

anyway - into servermanager after setting the sid to test, connect internal gave 'connected to idle instance' so far so good. startup open pfile=D:\ORANT\DATABASE\INITTEST.ORA came back with 'oracle error lcc00161 oracle error ( possible syntax error ) parameter [null]

                         'oracle error ora1031 insufficent privs'

connect internal now gives ' ora12705 - invalid or unknown nls parameter specified'
and
connect system/manager gives ' oracle 01033 oracle initialisation or shutdown in progress'

So I appear to have three starnge, but unrelated errors - Any ideas as to what might the cause - I even set DBA_AUTHORIZATION to BYPASS and still got the same errors.

One question though - The NT manual states that deleting a sid, also deletes the database - I might want to delete this sid, and try again - is there a way to remove a sid without deleting the database files - perhaps line mode cos that doesn't create a database - so it might not delete as well?

Thank you very much for any help you might be able to offer here, and I promise I'm going to avaoid NT like the plauge after this and concentrate on good old VMS which I understand!!!!

thanks again! Received on Sat Jul 04 1998 - 03:55:17 CDT