Re: Newbie: How to change DB_BLOCK size

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 15:06:54 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "DAVID SMITH" <dsmith_at_hpti.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 3 Jul 1998 06:51:56 -0400, you wrote:

>All,
>
>I am new to the DBA world and have installed O 8.0.3 on NT server with the
>default database (ORCL). I would like to change the DB_BLOCK parameter for
>better performance. I understand I have to "rebuild" the database to do
>this. However, I'm not clear as to what rebuilding the database means. Any
>help would be appreciated.
>
>--David Smith
>dsmith_at_hpti.com

You cannot 'change' the block size, you can only create a new database with the new block size and then put data in it. block size is forever fixed in a database instance...

It means doing a full export of the entire database, backing up the entire set of database files (in case of something going awry during the import we are going to do) creating a brand new database instance with the block size you want and doing a full import.

If you have the space, you could consider creating the new instance while the first one is still around and testing the export/import process with the new instance to make sure you get it right the first time. Sizes of things, init.ora settings, etc are all affected by changing the block size. There are other ways to get the data into the new instance if you run them simultaneously (like sqlplus copy command, using insert into select * from T_at_other_instance, and so on...)

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Jul 03 1998 - 10:06:54 CDT