Re: Why is optimizer choosing this index?

From: <alanlee1_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 14:28:20 GMT

In general, when you use rule-based optimizer you need to determine the driving set which will drive the performance of the query. Driving set is determined by the position of the table in the "FROM" clause and indexes used are based on several different factors such as the join methods (nested loops, outer, sort-merge, hash and cluster) and the ranking of the access paths. Both join methods and access paths are determined by the predicates and columns (indexed/no indexed). Consult books on query optimization and you will know how the RBO works.

Hope this helps.

Alan Lee
BSI Consulting
Houston, Texas