Re: Caching RAID controllers versus non-cached RAID

From: Neil Corlett <neil.corlett_at_jrc.it>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:55:37 +0200

I am actually involved in a similar search. The story with caching controllers is that the cache memory has to be battery-backed (of course) for data security. The manufacturers say it is a big win for RAID5.

The A5000 is supposed to be 'hot poop', but it's performance in RAID5 seems a bit uncertain. It appears to be very dependent upon the write mix and block sizes. A high (20%) of small block (2k) will not give you good performance.

The problem with OPS (Oracle Parallel Server) on Sun is that OPS requires Sun Cluster. Which limits your storage hardware choice to Sun by the look of it. And at the moment they don't have dual host conttrollers for SCSI, so we fetch up with choice of A5000 only at the moment.

cheers,

N.

nb I am not a Oracle DBA