Re: How to copy an existing database

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 08:45:09 +0100

On UNIX:

In your current db, issue the ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO TRACE command to give you a trace file that will give you the command to recreate new control files.

Shut down your current db.

Copy all your databases files to the new destination.

Create new copies of initSID.ora and configSID.ora for your new db SID in ORACLE_HOME/dbs (or whereever they are on your platform). Alter the init files to point to your new directories, especially the location of the new control files you are about to create.

Update the control file create script to have:

Run it through svrmgrl.

MotoX.