Re: Hot and Cold Backups??

From: allen lucas <alucus_at_concentric.net>
Date: 01 Jul 1998 18:51:21 EDT

I tend to think you have no need for Hot Backups in your case, although I would keep the archivelog mode on. With the cold backups, you have the ability to bring the database base to a starting point and roll forward with the archivelogs.

Think of the Cold Backup as the best solution when available because the database is in in static state. The HotBackup is the acceptable solution if Cold is not a viable alternative. Hot is not as good because the database is not in a static state (Shut Down) and the chance of error is greater (Although still slight).

Exports in my environment are only used as needed. I rely on Cold Weekly, Hot Daily backups, with archivelog of course.

Remember, a paranoid DBA is a good thing to have! Received on Wed Jul 01 1998 - 17:51:21 CDT