Re: Hot and Cold Backups??

From: Saar <sxmaxoz_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 12:21:44 -0700

stuco_at_mailcity.com wrote:

> I am pretty anal and paranoid when it comes to the safety and recoverability
> of production databases. So I have a question about Hot and Cold Backups.
>
> My database is running in archivelog mode and is brought down every night for
> cold backups. I also do a full export of the database, place it on a separate
> disk and that also is backed up in that nightly process.
>
> Is there any good use in doing hot backups?? My understanding of hot backups
> is that is it useful for databases that can't afford to be shutdown. In that
> case there should be daily hot backups and a weekly export and cold backup.

sometimes getting a weekly cold backup is not even possible...

> So, with my scenario above, give me a good reason to add hot backups to my
> strategy.

don't. if you can take the instance down everynight for a cold backup you are fine.If you lose a drive mid-day, restore datafiles backup from yesterday (only for that drive) and
apply all logs since then. Rememeber to keep these archived logs... :-)

> Thanks for clarifying my understanding of this thing we call ORACLE!
>
> Stuart Cowen
> Paladin Consulting - Dallas

((  /\\  /\\ ||)  |\V/| /\\ /\\ >/  Principal Performance Engineer
_))//-\\//-\\||\ |||||//-\\\\//<_ Oracle Corporation Digital SBU