Re: Hot and Cold Backups??

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 19:17:28 GMT

On Wed, 01 Jul 1998 15:19:37 GMT, stuco_at_mailcity.com <stuco_at_mailcity.com> wrote:
>I am pretty anal and paranoid when it comes to the safety and recoverability
>of production databases. So I have a question about Hot and Cold Backups.
>
>My database is running in archivelog mode and is brought down every night for
>cold backups. I also do a full export of the database, place it on a separate
>disk and that also is backed up in that nightly process.
>
>Is there any good use in doing hot backups?? My understanding of hot backups
>is that is it useful for databases that can't afford to be shutdown. In that
>case there should be daily hot backups and a weekly export and cold backup.

The other half is they are useful for recovering up to a certain granularity much finer than every night. When you need to recover, you can recover up to the failure, rather than losing everything between the last backup and the failure. If you don't need this, you don't need archivelog mode.

These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Wed Jul 01 1998 - 14:17:28 CDT