Re: Redo logs only useful if archiving on

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 18:57:47 GMT

Redo logs are binary files (i.e. you can't read them with a text editor) that the database uses for recovery. They are divided into two types: online, and archived.

All databases require at least two online redo logs. You can (and probably should) have more. Theire fixed size is set at database creation, and oracle cycles through them. When one fills up, it switches to the next until it hits the last one, then it cycles back to the first.

Archived logs are created during this log switch process if you're database is in archivelog mode. All an archived log is, is an online file that's been copied to an archival directory (with a unique name) before it gets overwritten by the normal log cycling process.

All this should be documented in the Server Concepts manual. It's highly recommended reading.

        Chuck

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you. Received on Tue Jun 30 1998 - 13:57:47 CDT