NLS_LANG parameter

From: <schnecke_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:35:09 GMT

Hi,

I have installed Oracle8 on Solaris 2.6 with UNICODE as the characterset of the database. Over servlets and JDBC I make the searches in the database. Java Web Server is the WWW server I use (thinking about Apache as WWW server).

Now I have the following problem:
The database contains characters from the WE8ISO8859P1 and EE8ISO8859P2 characterset. I want to make searches in the Database from the WWW Browser depending whether I use Latin1 (WE8ISO8859P1) or Latin2(EE8ISO8859P2)as the encoding. I do not know where and how I can set the NLS_LANG parameter. Well, I knw that I have to set the NLS_LANG parameter as an environment parameter on the client side, but in this case, which is my client?
If I search for a word written with Latin2 characters, I don not get the correct answers, because the search is made with the word in Latin1 characters.

Does somebody know what I have to do, to get the korrekt answer for the search? Does it depend from the WWW Server too?

Thanks for your help,

Stef