UNIX- another instance has database mounted

From: <mike_andrew_at_usiva.com>
Date: 1998/06/29

I am on a HP-UX B.10.20 running Oracle 7.2.3.

I am trying to startup an existing database, but I am getting the following

SVRMGR> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area      27406128 bytes
Fixed Size                       47936 bytes
Variable Size                 16913392 bytes
Database Buffers              10240000 bytes
Redo Buffers                    204800 bytes
ORA-00205: error in identifying control file '/u01/ORACLE/@/ctrl1@.ctl' ORA-09782: sfifi: another instance has the same database mounted. SVRMGR> There are only two other instances on the machine. One of which I am certain is NOT up and running and the other is up and running.

How can I find out how this database is mounted, my UNIX knowledge being limited, and what can I do to remedy the situation.

PS The instance & database that are up and running (navsupd) on this same server I can connect to fine from sqlplus, but when I connect through server manager with instance set to navsupd it says Connected to an idle instance.

Strange.

Please, any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance