Re: ORA-04031

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 22:16:20 GMT

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:22:50 +1000, Kevin Seneviratne <kevins_at_connect.com.au> wrote:
>Dear All
>I am running Oracle 7.2.3 and keep getting the intermittent error
>ORA-04031 "Unable to allocate 740 kb of SGA ....."
>when trying to insert records through SQL*PLUS.
>The error is totally random - in that sometimes a 1000 record insert
>work other times it trigger the error.
>Increasing the SGA size has had no effect on this.
>What is even stranger is that no error is recorded in the alert file

Might be fragmentation in the SGA. See if an occassional alter system flush shared-pool doesn't help some.

See also:

Document ID:         11578136.61
Title:               Library Cache and Shared Pool Tuning

and

  1. Prob# 1020076.6 TFTS: SCRIPT TO SHOW SGA PARAMETERS & STATISTICS

These are under technical bulletins of the generic technical library in MetaLink, and probably elsewhere, too.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Mon Jun 29 1998 - 17:16:20 CDT