Re: ORACLE Connection Error

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 21:18:33 GMT

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 19:11:50 GMT, 8track_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>I have an off site user who recieves the message "Database is not availiable"
>when trying to access one of my Databases.
>: The problem is I can access it and so can hundreds of other users. I checked
>his TNSnames, SQLnet.ora and oracle.ini file. All are fine.
>: Tracing is telling me nothing...just giving me a tns-12203 error code
>which tells me to check the listener. the listener is running. It is an
>NT box running ORACLE 7.3 Please Help!!!
>Thanks in advance

In your TNSNAMES.ORA file, how are you referencing the NT server (in the HOST parameter for this specific alias)? Are you referncing it by IP address or by hostname? If by hostname, are you sure that it resolves to the same machine where your NT server is running?

I've seen this problem, more often than not, be a problem with the client machine properly resolving the address of the server.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Mon Jun 29 1998 - 16:18:33 CDT